Butterfly stilshot

Butterfly stilshot

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Where Should I Start...

So what will my first post (other than the introductory one lol) be about? I think I should start off with something that is very dear to my heart. PROGRESS! I am allergic to stagnation. I will forever be a lifelong learner and achiever. I've never met Procrastination, but I don't want to. From what I hear, we won't like each other.

So it's a New Year and people are super excited about making new changes. It's the same thing. Every year people make New Year's resolutions and before it gets warm lol, that excitement is long gone. (I'm really so anti-New Year's resolutions by the way) SO WHAT HAPPENS? Weren't people well intentioned in their goal setting? Well there it is right there. Most people never actually goal set. They just spew out lots of good ideas, genuinely thinking they're goal setting. I've been saying this for years and I'm gonna say it forever. If it's not written down with a target date and measurable outcomes, it's not a goal it's just a good idea. Don't fool yourself and think you'll just remember; especially if you're not a naturally goal-oriented, driven person. You must write it down lol!  I have a business degree from Hampton University. I remember going through the exercises and the very detailed manner companies strategically plan. SWAT analyses, and progress tracking, feedback from consumers, etc, all help to compile a comprehensive plan. If businesses have enough sense to make a detailed plan of action, how much more important is it for us to do so with our lives that are much more precious than any product any business is selling (even mine lol)

So don't just speak about it, be about in 2011. Keep the fire of your excitement fresh all year long. Revisit your goals every month and track your progress. I must note that this is not just the case for goals such as starting a business or going back to school. But even if you want to improve on yourself or relationships. It is realistic to write a goal such as: "I will control my attitude by said date. I will learn to be pleasant to be people no matter how I feel." <one of my old goals from 2009, and I've come lightyears with this one> As long as it's not written down people can always get you with the "I'm working on it", but are you really? How can we tell if you're working on it? BY SEEING THE FRUIT. {Gotta holla at my perpetual I'm-working-on-it folks for a sec}Every gardener knows that based on when you plant the seeds, there is a certain time you should expect to see the fruit sprout up. So even with inside matters, it is very realistic to put a time frame to it. God doesn't take forever, it's usually us. I've found that "I'm working on it" really translates into "I'm trying to decide whether or not I really wanna do it." When people make a decision to do better, they simply do better.  So don't hide behind the "I'm working on it", but actually work on it.

I revisited my 2010 goals and realized that they were all but one met. How exciting was that! So it gives me renewed energy to set new ones, carry over the one that wasn't completed yet and keep it moving. So I challenge you to step away from the emotionalism and excitement and sit down to formulate a plan. It's time to live life on purpose and stop expecting happiness and success to fall out of the sky. They're waiting for you to cultivate them.

HAPPY GOAL SETTING!

No comments:

Post a Comment